Sunday, January 25, 2009

Dancing, thinking...dancing

Why am I warbling on about dancing, what is the point unless you are a fan or a practitioner?

Because it is a dancing lesson, and it could be applied to other situations in life. The next time you meet someone who offers to lead you, imagine that you agree to be lead. You avoid being floppy and useless, you avoid becoming over-eager to please, anticipating, offering your own judgements and solutions and worrying about your performance. You find that place in between which is just right, you give your full attention, you are present, you offer unbiased but firm resistance, to see if the leading really works. You are just lead. I wonder what the result would be? I'm going out there, and will report back from the field.
I've always had trouble with finding this place in between. In Britain we play 'more courteous than thou' games and very nice it is too. In the Paris region, no such niceties exist, and I am continually offending, outraged and indignant. I think I need to stop anticipating others and trying to get out of their way. I think I need to just go, like the French.
Recently R taught me the following lesson:

R tends to charge off and canon into people, leaving me to apologize to the flustered, trampled, and knocked-aside in his trail.

'R' I said after one particularly nasty bout when he wanted to reach the school gates before his best friend, 'You are old enough now to pay attention to where you are going, to notice people coming towards you , and to stand aside graciously rather than careering into them at full speed.'

'I know I know' says R 'But if I move out of the way they move out of the way too and we still crash. And anyway why should I always be the one to move out of the way?' He's so logical.

No comments:

Post a Comment