Monday, March 23, 2009

Glasses

I've finally succombed and taken up the prescription for glasses. It's an age forty five thing. I've been in denial for some time for the following reasons:

  • Fear that wearing glasses will make my eyes lazy& I will become dependant
  • Conviction that I can see perfectly well
  • Glasses cost a ****** fortune
  • Yet another opportunity to lose, misplace or break something
  • Anyway, glasses won't help me see in the dark
All of the above reasons are of course good ones.
At the optician's, not a single style suited me, and not a single price.
J-C came into the bedroom as I was reading in bed, wearing them for the first time. He did a visible double take.
'It is like having a different women' he said. At this I frowned over my glasses in a corrective manner.
'If you go and see the childrens' teachers wearing those, you certainly will be taken for a serious woman' he said. In France, being considered 'serious' is the highest compliment. In England, it is taken as a sign that something is wrong.
The next day B saw me wearing them. 'I like your glasses Mummy' he said, 'You look like a Grandma'.
R has not noticed them at all. Could this be because he himself needs glasses?

1 comment:

  1. Matthew needs to have a SERIOUS talk to B about the finer points of keeping one's mother on side ...

    ReplyDelete