Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Fennel

I've been nibbling the leaves in salads, soups and fish dishes, and here the Fennel is in flower, great gawky dancers with flower hands, as tall as I am.  They seem to grow wonderfully just about anywhere.  I'm gloating as the seeds are now ripening,  I am collecting and drying them, to use in the following recipe which I adapted from a recipe for Pyreneean Aniseed Breads, a bit of macaroon texture, no fat! 



Fennel Seed Biscuits

Ingredients

150 g of icing sugar (or grind favourite organic sugar in an electric coffee grinder, works with demerera)
2 eggs
200 g of flour
2 dessert spoons of fennel seeds or aniseed seeds, slightly ground in coffee grinder or pestle and mortar to release and distribute the scent and taste, mmmm

Method

Whisk the sugar and eggs together until a bit frothy, and when you lift up the whisk the batter hangs in 'ribbons'.

Stir in flour and fennel seeds

Spoon into mini fairy cake tin, I use a silicone one, or sort of blob onto greaseproof paper if you don't have the tin.

Cook in oven at 150 centigrade for 15 minutes until slightly golden and firm.



No comments:

Post a Comment