Monday, January 27, 2014

Don't work, what DO you do?

Somebody asked me this recently.  In the circumstances (intermission of school play) I was somehow unable to reply.   So here is the reply I wish I had made.

I DO NOT
Employ a cleaner
A washerman or woman, an ironer
An organic gardener
An educational psychologist
A chauffeur or taxi driver
A therapist
An interior designer and decorator
A personal shopper
Inventive organic cook 4 meals a day for 3 different tastes
A secretary for JC (home or work)
An errand boy or girl
A declutterer
A car maintenance manager
Nutritionist, nurse, rarely a doctor
Support for overworked husband
Marriage guidance counsellor (divorce lawyer)
Someone to bring up and care for our sons
or cats (x2)



I never watch telly or relax with my family in the evening am still working at 10pm, and I wish I had asked this person, how are we supposed to do a good job of the above with both parents working flat out?


2 comments:

  1. The point is in the last sentence.

    Most of us neglect our children in order to work to pay the bills to afford the things we think we need, not being able to differentiate between want and need.

    Which is an interesting idea - I was looking at various family budgeting 'apps' yesterday - the one I liked most was the one that actually made you state whether your purchase was a 'need' or a 'want' ... which was great apart from the fact that the app didn't work in other areas ... oh well ...

    I am not looking forward to going back to balancing the work and the family - I know the family suffers when I work but I need (yes, really, need) to pay the bills.

    I guess they would begin to suffer if I didn't work and there was no food on the table ... sigh ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand need to work, and want and choose to work, AND choose to work at home; never is or should one be set off against the other. Here it is accepted that all women work - many of them as childcare workers looking after the children of mothers who work...when childcare becomes an acceptable (low) paid occupation it's ok!

      In your case, wouldn't you say that between you and Chris the domestic side of things is taken care of? So many 2 career parents here really don't have adequate time for their babies & children (although they have money to pay for all the other stuff) and it shows in many painful ways, and often the state foots the bill for the medical and, educational and psychiatric help needed to try and put the children back together again...I don't see why 2 parent working should be a requirement - but it's not an issue of working or not working, but of finding the best way for you and your family in your particular circumstances.

      Delete