Monday, June 9, 2014

Woodland Garden in June

Here is what has happened so far to the structure built in April, the only maintenace was one short weeding session.  I'm overwhelmed by the show put on by our dry shade tolerant iris foetidissima.  Is it the loving attention? (more likely our exceptionally mild winter, which they appreciate apparently).

It's name (trans;  the most stinky one)  comes from the fact that it's leaves when crushed are stinking man (but I've never gone searching for what I don't need to know).  It's colours (cream and pale veined lilac) are not exactly striking, but I think the overall effect has subtle charm, and anyway if you've got dry shade you are grateful for anything you can get.  

The clumps of leaves have looked good winter and spring, and I'm hoping for a good crop of scarlet berries in the autumn;  I'm cautious about this as we are experiencing Paris Monsoon season , something which pleases our friends the snails.  Yesterday I observed one large snail on every flower.  JC threw them over the neighbour's wall.  When I questioned the morality of this he said:  it will help him mow his lawn - and in any case there's no food over there so they head straight back to our garden - but at least the climb over the wall will slow them down.  (I'm wondering if JC isn't a secret adept of chronic uneighbourliness?)



The structure holds in the 'tatty' season, with primula and violets which have gone over, the remains of  herb robert flowers and a touch of wild strawberry and ground ivy







Iris Foetidissima
A small stone owl I fell in love with

The pebbled areas still look good, campenula late flowering in the shade

Yes we did get some cherries, the one straggling tree we saved did the work of many, 2 kilos, 4 pots of jam



No comments:

Post a Comment