Sunday, June 10, 2012

Garden Apothecary

Our cherry tree has given us 4 kilos of cherries, we picked them this weekend, two more to come next weekend if the weather be fine and the starlings don't come.

 These cherries are BITTER, yes they are as BITTER as I am about my neighbour's request to cut down the cherry tree because it has roots.  We've had the undergrowth hacked next to his house, but I'm not going to cut the cherry tree down unless he persuades the local council to prosecute us for having the cherry tree 2.5 centimetres nearer the fence than it is legally entitled to be.  Instead, I am going to build a massive fence and SHUT HIM OUT (Down, inner Rottweiler, Down!).

R&B were enlisted to help us stone the cherries, by squeezing the flesh and pulling the stalk gently so that the stone pops out attached to the stalk.  The jam I've just made with them is DIVINE, orangey-red with a rich dashing flavour, you just can't buy jam like this.

Cherry Stalk Infusion
JC has sorted out all the stones and cherry stalks.  He is making an infusion out of the cherry stalks which is very good for easing water retention, he is drip-feeding me in the hope it will make me less bloated and grumpy, and he is saving up the stones until he has enough to stuff a small neck pillow.

No comments:

Post a Comment