Friday, February 8, 2013

Play Bach

JC and I took the difficult decision to commit ourselves passionately to a production of Bach's St Matthew Passion (excerpts, liberally translated into French)  JC is narrating, I'm doing two solos, there will be no fudging at the back.

It isn't the passionate part that is difficult, this music is clearly labelled Made in Heaven and the passion comes with the package.    It is the commitment part which is difficult.    We did the responsable thing and calculated whether we could realistically put in the time required, realised we couldn't, and went ahead anyway.  Consequently we have in our home a washing crisis which has reached international proportions, and most of the time JC looks like a tired shrivelled overworked and very tired worm which is particularly tired.

I say a production of Bach's Matthew Passion because I disover that it is musical theatre.  You can 'understand' the text of the story and the sequence in which it appears, and it is easy to have an emotional reaction to the music without knowing or understanding the story at all, but added to all that, once you really get into it and sing it and live it, there is the musical story;  a glorious musical light show, a musical understanding which passeth all understanding. Just how did Bach do it?

I have become seized with the desire to sing;  a desire as precise as a point of light and as loud as a thunderous roar.









2 comments:

  1. Catherine - I am so excited for you! (apart from having to do it in French which just seems wrong somehow ... but I digress).
    Two solos - Bach - the mezzo solos are just wonderful and you have such warmth in your voice. I'm now excited to follow this journey of yours and sad I wont get to experience it first hand!
    Enjoy - Bach is our great treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darling he IS a treasure, I have had several spiritual 'peak experiences' and often have to break off weeping, especially the 'radiant' bits, and I'm so determined to Sing that I'm working on all my physical failings such as crap posture, not breathing properly, being out of contact with the lower part of my body etc...Yes I've always wanted to be a lumberjack, I mean to SING (like the guy in Holy Grail). I hope Chris gets into singing therapy, it's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete