Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Franglais Cooking; lemon mousse recipe

FRANGLAIS  LEMON  MOUSSE



A creamy mousse, could be called une crème au citron

I have developed a Franglais style of cooking, using ingredients that can be found here in France, yet pandering to my English taste and tendencies.

Easy lemon mousse, Franglais style
Until recently I was unable to buy pots of lemon mousse;  for some reason the French only sell chocolate, coffee or vanilla (with chestnut in season).  This has caused me a certain amount of frustration over the years.  Just recently big business has introduced it to our supermarkets, but I'm not keen on industrialised food in terms of health, taste and morality, and also you never know when things will be unintroduced.  For example Lindt introduced a lemon meringue chocolate to French supermarkets.  I was ecstatic, at last an alternative to praline, and fruit with milk chocolate (here the limited supply of fruit centred chocs limit themselves to plain chocolate which I don't like).  But this trial presumably revealed that the French preferred to stick to their bally old praline, so Lindt withdrew it.   With this sort of experience, I decided to make myself independent with my own easy recipes, satisfaction guaranteed.  

FRANGLAIS LEMON MOUSSE RECIPE
Ingredients, collect together:
Ingredients; 1 lemon, 2 eggs, creme fraiche, petits suisses, sugar

Pot of creme fraiche, good and firm (try local market, or good health food shop, not watery fluffy stuff in supermarkets)

6 petit suisses (nature)

One lemon and a good zest grater (I'm glad I invested, I use it constantly)

Sugar

2 eggs

Method
The wonderful thing about creme fraiche is that you don't have to whip it, and the petits suisses are also good and solid, so take 3 large dollopy dessert spoons of the creme fraiche and 5 petit suisses and mix them together in a bowl with 4 dessert spoons of sugar (you can add more if not sweet enough).  Juice half a juicy lemon, or a whole not so juicy lemon and add, along with the zest of the whole lemon.

Separate the eggs and whisk the whites into peaks, and fold in to mixture.  VOILA!

No comments:

Post a Comment