Monday, January 12, 2009

Faces

























‘Most Interesting’ say the psychoanalysts, raising sardonic eyebrows, ‘Clearly a case of Projection…’

I’ve quite given myself the willies looking deep into the Pet Shop Toys’ eyes; how can eyes be at once vacuous and menacing? Am I imagining things? Am I seeing a reflection of my own peculiar nature? I decided to experiment. J-C had helpfully left a copy of ‘The Gold of the Pharaohs’ by Henri Stierlin on my desk. Many people do find Egyptian esotericism scary. I had a peer at the face on the front cover, which was of the Pharaoh Amenemipet as it happens. The experience was quite lovely! I called in my able assistant, B.

‘Look at this face and tell me what you feel’

‘It looks a bit sad…’ said B carelessly.


‘Ok. That’s the outside. Now, look deep into the eyes…’

B obliged for some seconds. He turned to me, his face reflecting the gold, a half smile playing on his lips to rival that of Mona Lisa, and he said, ‘He is a smiley jolly man’.

No comments:

Post a Comment