Friday, February 6, 2009

Education: A Leading Out

Bring into your mind an image of Miss Jean Brodie in her prime, speaking (add in Scottish accent) to her girls:

'The word ‘education’ comes from the root e from ex, out and duco, I lead. It means a leading out. To me education is a leading out of what is already there in the pupil’s soul. To Miss Mackay it is a putting in of something that is not there, and that is not what I call education. I call it intrusion, from the Latin root prefix in meaning in and the stem trudo, I thrust. Miss Mackay’s method is to thrust a lot of information into the pupil’s head: mine is a leading out of knowledge, and that is true education, as is proved by the root meaning. Now Miss Mackay has accused me of putting ideas into my girls heads, but in fact that is her practice and mine is quite the opposite…' (From The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark)

Is Miss Jean Brodie right?

No comments:

Post a Comment