Friday, September 21, 2012

Machines, my problematic relationship with...

I went to see a machine today to get 2 health certificates which I need for tomorrow.  The machine was working perfectly well before I arrived, and for the whole time I waited patiently while it delivered sheet after sheet for the woman who got in there just before me.

At last, my turn.  I ordered my certificates.  It delivered one.  Then it asked me to be patient for a long time and an even longer time and the longest time and then it told me it couldn't deliver and asked me queue up to see a real person or try again.  I tried again, I tried again.  The lady behind me and I had a little chat about it, I tried again and it crashed, taking me back to the main menu as though I didn't exist and refusing to talk to me.  This is the story of my life.  The lady behind me moved into position.  Her certificates were delivered as requested.  I took this personally.

I grabbed a queue ticket number 32.  I was called up to speak to a real person.  It was a real French person so I had to wait for some time while she claimed she couldn't help and accused me of having ordered one already, but by pleading my case long enough she printed one for me.   Human Beings Triumph Over Machines, hooray, hooray and the crowd roared!

No comments:

Post a Comment