Saturday, September 8, 2012

Recipe for Big Courgettes and Breadcrumbs

There are two things in my life that I'm never quite sure what to do with (well, there are a lot more, but let's make a start), large courgettes, the ones that have grown too big to be cooked like ordinary courgettes, and leftover bread.  I've come up with a recipe which tackles both and is voted delicious by my family.

Vegetable Gallettes
Take a couple of handfuls of breadcrumbs (I make mine in the magimix)
Mixed herbs (I use fresh from garden but dried is fine)
Salt and pepper
A couple of handfuls of maize flour (gives crisp texture and golden colour, but if you can't get it choose another "pre-cooked" flour such as barley or oat, but I think it would work with wheatflour too)
Grated easy-to-fry vegetables:  I use a carrot, an onion and the end chunk of a big courgette (pull out the pith and peel with the older ones as the outside and middle is tough, also the cut courgette keeps happily in the fridge)
Any bits of leftover cheese you have, soft or hard (not essentiel)
1 or 2 eggs (for the quantity I have here I used 2 eggs, or can use 1 egg and add a bit of water, oil, or anything else vaguely wet which you think would taste nice, so the mixture forms a slightly crumby paste).

Spoon into hot oil in frying pain, spread out flat with a fork, and fry each side until golden brown and firm.

Best prepared and cooked and eaten straight away.


No comments:

Post a Comment