Friday, January 25, 2013

Fire Flower

I've just heard on Radio 4 that Wilko Johnson (from 70s band Dr Feelgood) is dying of pancreatic cancer, he has nine months to live, twelve if he accepts treatment which he doesn't.  Instead he is going on a farewell tour.  He describes how knowing he is dying has shaken him up into feeling alive, he says "...just walking down the street you really feel alive, you see every little thing and feel every cold breeze against your face, every brick in the road, there it is."

As young womanhood draws to an end, I become aware of the intensity of life within life, and of what went before and what is to come...here are my thoughts in the secret night, dedicated to women of a certain age (and before, and beyond).



Fire Flower

Forty-nine, time decreed
Fire awakened
From its bulb deep in the heart of life
Grew a thick trunk in mine
Flowered in my face.

Red petals cup my chin
Red petals touch my cheek

Heat rolls and unrolls
In the secret night
In the sage day

In the secret night I lie
In the glorious bright bright
Of life and life within life
Tears of marvel
Tears of gratitude
Run helpless into the fire
And sizzle

In the sage day I stand
At the stake
As the blood boils
And it burns away;
Attention wanted and unwanted
The hunt and the hunted
The role enforced and fallen upon
The giving and the taken
The beauty
The duty and the rage

The water gives up its hold and its bonds
Is released into the sky

In the sage day I stand
At the stake
Look into my eyes
I stare out pure and sharp
Here I am
All that is behind this life of woman
All that went before
And will continue to be

(now there's a curious thing, a bug in the system has made AND WILL CONTINUE TO BE double sized on my 'view'...)

No comments:

Post a Comment