Saturday, September 15, 2012

Blog Stats Obsession


Graph of Blogger page views
Mm, I'm not sure about these blog statistics.  For example, I was surprised to see that I had 200 views of my (new updated with photo) profile.  Every time I opened it, the number of views had gone up.  Who could be interested in me?  Should I be pleased or worried?  Then I discoverd that I can click on my favourite films and see if any other bloggers liked the same films as me (they didn't by and large) and when I found some other people who like Hildegarde of Bingen's music, I felt quite excited, and then touched to see all these highly individual and sometimes rather strange people putting themselves out there...some I would really like to be friends with, if only they didn't live in Ohio, and one Spanish man I wouldn't have minded falling in love with if he hadn't been 20 years younger than me and Spanish, and look at this, should we really be mentioning "lesbianism and interacial sex" as an interest on our blog profile? It's not a dating agency! ...And then back to my profile...where I noticed that the counter was clicking up one every time...I viewed my profile.  Could it be that I am a total sad git who has viewed her own profile 200 times?

Secondly, it is turning me into an obsessive.  For example, thanks to blog stats, I now know that my entry on French rudeness resulted in 59 views from the USA, more than my weekly avarage, how intriguing.  When I write to friends to recommend that they read something I've written, I can check up afterwards to see if there are more pageviews.  If not, why not?   Three French people claim to have viewed one article, but I only have 1 UK view on my stats - who's lying,  the stats or the friends?  Why do Russians keep accessing my blog in the mistaken belief that it has something to do with Olga Solovyov?  What does it all mean?  WHAT DOES IT ALL MATTER???

I'm having to add blog stat checking to my long list of peculiar habits which I am hoping to grow out of,  such as singing Amy Winehouse songs much too loudly in inappropriate settings and refusing to go to the Doctors.

No comments:

Post a Comment